Do a google search on rave safety and the information you will find is 95% written by what we call “Websperts” with very limited education on the subject. Our goal is to debunk some of the misinformation on Reddit and other sources with facts from medical doctors.
Today, we are going to put this debacle to rest with EVIDENCE-BASED FACTS! So when you see fake news, share the facts!
Important Facts to Know:
- At high doses 500mg or greater, there is some risk of 5-HTP contributing to Serotonin Syndrome only if used with other Serotonin-acting drugs.
- Rave Doctor uses a Recovery Dose of 100mg of 5-HTP that is specifically designed to replenish Serotonin over the course of 3 days.
- The half-life of 5-HTP is about 4 hours. That means that within 8 hours of taking 5-HTP, only 25% is left in your system.
- 5-HTP is fat-soluble, so take it with food for maximum absorption!
- 5-HTP is more effective when paired with Green Tea Extract for its ability to carry the precursor into the Central Nervous System.
Our physician partners have worked in the medical tents at events such as EDC, Electric Zoo, and more. Serotonin Syndrome DOES HAPPEN. However, in nearly every case there is a 2nd agent involved, such as an SSRI, SNRI, MAOI, or Zofran.
We have SCOURED the internet and asked our partners for any cases of 5-HTP induced Serotonin Syndrome and could NOT FIND ONE DOCUMENTED CASE!
Serotonin Syndrome is REAL and SCARY! Here’s what you need to know…
- NEVER use illicit drugs if you are taking an SSRI, SNRI, MAOI, TCA, or Ondansetron. If you are on a drug for depression or nausea, it is probably one of the above!
- Symptoms include agitation, confusion, rapid heart rate, high blood pressure, dilated pupils, muscle rigidity, heavy sweating, diarrhea, headache, and shivering. Life-threatening symptoms include high fevers, seizures, arrhythmias, and loss of consciousness.
- Seek immediate medical treatment if you suspect Serotonin Syndrome in yourself or your peers.
More Common Medical Conditions Associated with EDM Festivals
- Drug overdose often from “Dirty Drugs” (TEST YOUR DRUGS!!!)
- Dehydration (Stay hydrated and drink electrolytes)
- Hydrocephalus “too much water in the brain” (Don’t forget to get electrolytes!)
- Rhabdomyalgia: Breaking down of muscle tissue due to overheating – kills the kidneys (Stay hydrated, test your drugs, take breaks!)
As far as taking 100mg or less of 5-HTP on the festival day – evidence shows this will not add increased risk. In fact, this dose is intended to make you feel great throughout the festival, every single day! Rave Healthy Rave Fam!